Towards the end of 2016 we concluded our African Travel Survey. The questions posed were:
- Have you traveled to Africa before?
- If you have visited Africa before, what was the nature of your visit?
- What countries did you visit?
- If you had to give one reason for visiting Africa again, what might it be?
- If You haven’t visited before, would you be interested in taking a vacation to Africa?
- If you had to give one reason for visiting Africa, what might it be?
- If you had to give one reason for not visiting Africa, what might it be?
These were the Results
First off, our distribution of readers:
The majority of WLR readers hail from
- The United States
- United Kingdom
- South Africa
Have You Traveled to Africa Before?
- 37% of our audience said yes, while
- 63% had not been to Africa before.
If you have visited Africa before, what was the nature of your visit?
- Visiting Africa with a tour operator and a self drive were close together both getting almost 23% respectively.
- Business visits came in third with 16%.
- Family visits came in fourth with almost 10%.
What countries did you visit?
South Africa was the country visited the most, followed by Botswana and surprisingly Zimbabwe. The skew towards countries in Southern Africa could be due to the fact that South Africa is third on our list of Where Lions Roam followers. The fact that Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia and Egypt ranked so low was surprising.
If you had to give one reason for visiting Africa again, what might it be?
Some reasons provided were:
- Visit South Africa, Visit the Serengeti during calving season, Lake Nukuru where the Flamingos are
- To share my experiences with my family
- The People
- Have family there
- Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Rwanda
- beauty / wildlife / birding / fishing / vacation
- I have a holiday house there
If You Haven’t Visited Before, Would You be Interested in taking a Vacation to Africa?
73% of respondents were interested in visiting Africa
27% were not.
If you had to give one reason for visiting Africa, what might it be?
Reason #1: To see lions
Reason #2: To see animals
Reason #3: To see nature
Reason #4: Love travelling
Reason #5: Cultural experience
What type of African visit might you consider?
It seems that, at least on a first visit, tourists to Africa prefer the comfort of a tour operator. From what we’ve seen is that most people on a second visit now know the lay of the land and organize their own accommodation and transport.
If you had to give one reason for not visiting Africa, what might it be?
Reason #1: Not very safe/scary
Reason #2: No tigers
Reason #3: Ebola